|Design: The University Church
of the Central Philippine University is considered to be a landmark in
lloilo City. Its unique architecture is resonant of an Indonesian style
of a house built on palm leaves and bamboo. It is a constant reminder of
the university's motto, "Scientia et Fides" which highlights Jesus Christ
in all its teachings through which the American Baptist Missionary Society
Founded it in 1905. Dr. William O. Valentine, the first principal to what
was once the Jaro Industrial School for boys, lead the mission of sharing
the gospel through education. The Centennial logo symbolizes the link that
binds all Centralians around the world and that is simply called the "Central
Spirit". The Centennial theme: "Excel for God's Greatest Glory" expresses
the message that all Centralians must become an example in both word and
deed wherever they may be.
Central Philippine University
is a non-stock, non-profit Christian institution of higher learning, where
a well-rounded program of education is offered under influences that strengthen
faith and build up character. It was founded in 1905 as the Jaro Industrial
School by missionaries of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society.
It started as an elementary vocational school for poor boys who worked
for their board and tuition. Dr. William O.Valentine,the first principal,
worked hard to have the school incorporated and recognized by the government.
His goals were reached in 1913, the year when the school began to admit
female students also. In 1915, the first two years of high school were
opened. In 1920, the third and fourth year classes were added and the following
year the first batch of high school graduates were produced.To satisfy
the growing desire of young people for education, a junior college was
opened in 1923 and the name of the school was changed to Central Philippine
College.The senior college was established in 1936 and by 1940, five degrees
were offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Education,
Bachelor of Theology and Bachelor of Religious Education.
World War II broke out and
with it, came destruction and death. Eleven (11) American missionaries
were massacred by the Japanese soldiers. Central students, faculty and
staff members and alumni joined the guerrilla movement or the Civil Resistance
Government. April 1,1953, was an important landmark in the whole CPU story.
On that day, the ardent dream of thousands of alumni and the long line
of American and Filipino pioneers became a reality: Central Philippine
College gained university status and became Central Philippine University.
From the founding of the
school, Filipinos were gradually given larger responsibilities in its administration.
In 1966, the first Filipino president, Dr. Rex D. Drilon, was elected;
and in 1968 the entire university property - land, buildings and equipment
- was turned over by the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society to the
Filipino Corporation of CPU. Since 1973, all members of the Board of Trustees
and administrative officials of the University have been Filipinos.
In 100 years, CPU has grown
from an elementary vocational school with 20 pupils to a widely known university
with an enrollment of over 12,OOO.The 24-hectare campus, which was originally
chosen for its quiet and relative isolation and pervaded by a Christian
atmosphere known as the "Central Spirit", is now a veritable community
by itself, with more than 46 buildings used for classrooms and support
facilities. In 2001, it was declared as a Tourism Site by the lloilo City
Today, CPU holds the distinction
as No. 1 in the Philippines in the number of tertiary academic programs
accredited Level III by the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines.
It was also granted Autonomy by the Commission on Higher Education for
the overall performance of its graduates in the government licensure examinations
(No. 1 in Region VI and No. 5 in the country), for having established Centers
of Development, and for its consistent delivery of quality education, research
and extension work. Just last year, it was awarded the ISO 9001:2000 Certification
for its educational and support services.