|The PARISH OF SAN BARTOLOME,
in Magalang, Pampanga marks this year the 400th anniversary of its establishment
as a parish. Established in 1605, it is one of the oldest parishes in the
After being separated from
the parish of the nearby town of Arayat, Pampanga, the first parish church
was built in a small Barangay of Macaspac, Magalang. After being flooded,
it was transferred to Barangay Talimundok where a church was built in 1725.
The present church was built in 1866 by Fr. Ramon Sarrionanda, an Augustinian
Friar. The church is basically made of dead stones or pumice, gathered
from the nearby town of Porac, Pampanga, which up to now has a mine of
sand and such stones, especially after the eruption of the Mt. Pinatubo.
The facade and walls of the
church are still of the original design. Like much of the town, nothing
much has changed. The parish of San Bartolome and the town of Magalang
is home to a peaceful, quiet and loving people, of respectful folks. Magalang
is a Filipino word for respectful. These qualities are recognized in this
simple and not so remote town, being a neighbor to the highly urbanized
Angeles City. They are the typical simple Filipino folks of similar towns
that live in rural peace and simplicity.
The parish is a beacon of
Filipino faith and culture. It is home to a growing populace of more than
50,000 people, and it is the center of 27 barangays and 5 barrio parishes.
The town celebrates its fiesta on August 24, feast of her patron saint.